Monday 17 July 2017

Fire, Death & Cider

My wife's oldest brother, Ger, died this time last year. He had a heart attack and died instantly.  He was a year older than me.
His anniversary mass was held yesterday, I didn't go, I was doing the catering for about thirty people.  Apparently I'm good at it.  But I think I'm just better at catering than being in church.
Turns out it was a rather fun day and not a bit solemn,  and everyone loved my food. Which is always good.

I lit a fire in the pit tonight, played some old style country music and drank cider.

10 comments:

  1. Best to go quick, I reckon.
    I hope nobody asks me to do catering for 30 people, but when I think about it this is hardly likely!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would rather not linger.
    I love making food for people, I come from a large family and we were all brought up in the kitchen! The Ma taught us well.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both right. I hope to get smacked by the crosstown 42nd Street bus and be gone before I realized it happened. Just not anytime soon, please.

    What was your food? What did you make, sir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope your sudden departure by bus is a long way off!

      The food was nothing special, just a cold buffet, and various sandwiches and wraps.

      Delete
  4. We do what we can, sugar. Catering was your part of the service, the remembering. I'm glad you're here. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always at my happiest feeding folk!

      XOXOXOX

      Delete
    2. I second Sav...long as you're here, I'm happy. Wish we were all closer so we could have a non-family family reunion. I swear y'all understand me much more than some of my blood. :)

      Delete
    3. Now wouldn't that be nice?! And seeing as you don't drink I could have yours, just to help like. ;)

      Delete
    4. I'll third that! Glad you did what made you happiest. I know you remember him all the time and cherish the time you had. A non-family reunion would be lovely!

      Delete
  5. Not a great one for churches myself. Tend to find most of them are very un-holy places. Sounds like you found a way to reflect in a manner more suited to your being

    ReplyDelete